At CUR8, we are committed to acting in the best interest of the planet and ensuring that our actions align with our mission to tackle climate change. To that end, we have established a set of principles for responsible carbon removal impact to guide our work.
- Keep 1.5 degrees alive: We are committed to helping keep the world below 1.5 degrees of warming. In line with IPCC reports, carbon removals are an essential element in reaching that goal.
- No Greenwashing: Carbon removals can never be an excuse to continue the use of fossil fuels in “business as usual” nor a way to avoid deep decarbonisation. Playing their role alongside reduction and adaptation, they must always increase climate ambition.
- Towards Net-zero: We only work with clients and partners who are demonstrably committed to climate action – aiming to both reduce and remove their emissions. We help our clients get to net-zero by providing a pathway for them to remove their residual emissions. Carbon removal is not traditional ‘offsetting’ but directly removes carbon from the atmosphere on scientifically verified timescales. The relatively high cost of removal acts as a further incentive to aggressively reduce emissions.
- Transparency and Accountability: We prioritise transparency and accountability in all our operations. We provide detailed and auditable information about our carbon removal projects, their impact, and the methodologies used, clearly and accessibly via our CUR8 Platform.
- Positive Impact: We carefully consider the social and environmental impact of our projects, seeking positive outcomes for climate, biodiversity and society. Our approach to pricing reflects the social cost of carbon. We are committed to working with projects that genuinely engage with local communities and fairly share the benefits.
- Scaling the Market: We are market makers, with a mission to help scale the carbon removals market to the multi-billion-tonne scale that science tells us we need. We actively seek opportunities to expand our operations and collaborations. We believe that by working together, we can accelerate the transition to a net zero future.
- Research and Innovation: We are dedicated to continuous research and innovation. We are directing first-of-a-kind capital to accelerate the creation and scale of new removal technologies and methodologies that can enhance the effectiveness of current and future projects.
- Robust Due Diligence: We have established a detailed due diligence framework to assess the feasibility and integrity of carbon removal suppliers and their projects, ensuring that our projects meet the highest standards of quality and credibility.
- Commitment to Systematic Progress: We actively engage with policymakers and advocate for legislation and regulation that supports the growth of the carbon removal industry and accelerates the transition to a sustainable future.
- Collective Action and Systems Thinking: In collaboration with our sister NGO, Rethinking Removals, we work with the world’s leading buyers, suppliers, policy makers, scientists, climate organisations and rule setters to create a robust, trustworthy and impactful carbon removals market.
By following these principles, CUR8 aims to make a meaningful and lasting impact in the fight against climate change.